St. Monica School Gzira is a church school, run by the Augustinian Sisters, Servants of Jesus and Mary. The school was first opened in Ponsomby Street, in 1937 but as time went by, a larger and more modern school was needed. In fact in just a few years the building rose from the first stone, laid on the 1st of June 1994, into a sprawling structure, officially opened on the 5th of December 2000. This church school holds presently 710 female students. In accordance with the foundress’s wishes it is a mixed ability school and there is no streaming. There are two classes for each age group from Pregrade to Grade 6, and three classes per Form from Form 1 to Form 5.
When Maria Teresa Spinelli founded the Congregation of the Augustinian Sisters, Servants of Jesus and Mary, she stated specifically that the principal aim of the Congregation is the "direction and instruction of individuals". These "individuals", our students, she described as "precious treasures" redeemed by the Blood of Christ and entrusted by Our Lord to the teachers to "educate and lovingly instruct".
The value of each and every individual child is stressed in Teresa Spinelli’s exhortation to her teachers to "Love and respect them without distinction as the beloved daughters of God, destined to become Princesses and Queens in Heaven". Spinellian education is open to all, without distinction of class or ability. It is the holistic development of the individual as a Christian living within society. In the Constitutions of the Congregation we find the elements of Spinellian education that form the aims and ethos of our schools. Spiritual development is the foundation of the educational vision of Maria Teresa Spinelli. There are also references to moral, social, academic and cultural development as well as to vocational development and education for leisure. Teachers are encouraged to accept and allow for individual differences.
Our Foundress’s vision is in fact astonishingly fresh and modern.